Tuesday, December 8, 2009

In the News: NIH Approves New Stem Cell Lines for Research

Launching a dramatic expansion of government support for one of the most promising but most contentious fields of biomedical research, the National Institutes of Health on Wednesday [last week] authorized the first 13 lines of cells under the administration's policy and was poised to approve 20 more Friday...

The NIH has already authorized 31 grants worth about $21 million for research on human embryonic stem cells, money that was contingent on new lines passing government muster. The grants are for a variety of research, including work aimed at developing cells that could be used to treat diseases of the heart and nervous system.

This is an excerpt from a December 3 story in the Washington Post. Read the full story here.

2 comments:

Liberty Watchman said...

There are many, many of us 'living with MS' who cannot countenance finding a cure for our MS at the cost of killing unborn children.

All of the stem cell therapies for MS involve the use of adult stem cells. So why do we laud the government's release of fetal stem cell lines for research when they have already proven ineffective and morally repugnant to many Americans.

Anonymous said...

I am a stem cell therapy recipient for treatment of my multiple sclerosis. I DO NOT understand why embryonic stem cells are even considered as therapy. Putting aside the possible ethical question, embryonic stem cells have the potential to become cancer/tumor cells!! I had to go out of the country to have stem cell therapy. I am so very glad that I did it!! I feel so much better. I DID NOT have embryonic stem cells! I stem cells I received were from umbilical cords. And, I also had fat-derived stem cells taken from me, processed, and given back to me. I had 2 types of stem cells. Besides umbilical cord stem cells, other sources can be used to obtain them. Also being used, placenta stem cells and mentrual discharge stem cells can be used with NO worries of becoming tumor or cancer cells!! Come on America, get on board with other countries, PLEASE! I have to wonder if America is dragging its feet on non-controversial stem cell research due to "Big Pharma"??